Here are the essential places to visit in Montreal, Canada. The selection is made using the FavRiver scoring system which takes into account the most relevant metrics and expert reviews.
Last update : Jun 12, 2019
6Montreal Botanical Garden
The Montreal Botanical Garden (French: Jardin botanique de Montréal) is a large botanical garden in Montreal, Québec, Canada comprising 75 hectares (190 acres) of thematic gardens and greenhouses. It was designated a National Historic Site of Canada in 2008 as it is considered to be one of the most important botanical gardens in the world due to the extent of its collections and facilities.
Montreal Botanical Garden
7McGill University
McGill University (French: Université McGill) is a public research university in Montreal, Québec, Canada. It was established in 1821 by royal charter, granted by King George IV. The university bears the name of James McGill, a Montreal merchant originally from Scotland whose bequest in 1813 formed the university's precursor, McGill College.
McGill's main campus is at Mount Royal in downtown Montreal, with the second campus situated in Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue, also on the Montreal Island, 30 kilometres (18 miles) west of the main campus. The university is one of two universities outside the United States who are members of the Association of American Universities and it is the only Canadian member of the Global University Leaders Forum (GULF) within the World Economic Forum.McGill offers degrees and diplomas in over 300 fields of study, with the highest average admission requirements of any Canadian university. Most students are enrolled in the five largest faculties, namely Arts, Science, Medicine, Engineering, and Management.McGill counts among its alumni 12 Nobel laureates and 145 Rhodes Scholars, both the most of any university in Canada, as well as five astronauts, the incumbent prime minister and two former prime ministers of Canada, the incumbent Governor General of Canada, 14 justices of the Canadian Supreme Court, at least eight foreign leaders, 28 foreign ambassadors, over eight dozen members of the Canadian Parliament, United States Congress, British Parliament, and other national legislatures, several billionaires, nine Academy Award (Oscars) winners, 11 Grammy Award winners, four Pulitzer Prize winners, two Presidential Medal of Freedom recipients, at least 16 Emmy Award winners, and 28 Olympic medalists, all of varying nationalities. McGill University or its alumni founded several major universities and colleges, including the University of British Columbia, the University of Victoria, the University of Alberta, the Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry at the University of Western Ontario, the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, and Dawson College.
McGill University
8Montreal Museum of Fine Arts
The Montreal Museum of Fine Arts (MMFA; French: Musée des beaux-arts de Montréal, MBAM) is an art museum in Montreal, Québec, Canada. It is the city's largest museum and is amongst the most prominent in Canada. The museum is located on the historic Golden Square Mile stretch of Sherbrooke Street.
The MMFA is spread across five pavilions, and occupies a total floor area of 53,095 square metres (571,510 sq ft), 13,000 (140,000 sq ft) of which are exhibition space. With the 2016 inauguration of the Michal and Renata Hornstein Pavilion for Peace, the museum campus was expected to become the eighteenth largest art museum in North America. The permanent collection included approximately 44,000 works in 2013. The original "reading room" of the Art Association of Montreal was the precursor of the museum's current library, the oldest art library in Canada.
The Montreal Museum of Fine Arts is a member of the International Group of Organizers of Large-scale Exhibitions, also known as the Bizot Group, a forum which allows the leaders of the largest museums in the world to exchange works and exhibitions. The museum is affiliated with: CMA, CHIN, and Virtual Museum of Canada.
Montreal Museum of Fine Arts
9Montreal Biodome
The Montreal Biodome (French: Biodôme de Montréal) is a facility located at Olympic Park in the Mercier–Hochelaga-Maisonneuve neighbourhood of Montreal, Québec, Canada. that allows visitors to walk through replicas of four ecosystems found in the Americas. The building was originally constructed for the 1976 Olympic Games as a velodrome. It hosted both track cycling and judo events. Renovations on the building began in 1989 and in 1992 the indoor nature exhibit was opened.
The Montreal Biodome is one of four facilities that make part of the largest natural science museum complex in Canada, Space for Life, which also includes the Montreal Insectarium, Montreal Botanical Garden, and Rio Tinto Alcan Planetarium. It is an accredited member of both the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA) and the Canadian Association of Zoos and Aquariums (CAZA).
Montreal Biodome
10Laurentian Mountains
The Laurentian Mountains (French: Laurentides) are a mountain range in southern Québec, Canada, north of the St. Lawrence River and Ottawa River, rising to a highest point of 1,166 metres (3,825 ft) at Mont Raoul Blanchard, northeast of Québec City in the Reserve Faunique des Laurentides. The Gatineau, L'Assomption, Lièvre, Montmorency, Nord and St. Maurice rivers rise in lakes in this mountain range.
Across the U.S. border to the south, the Adirondack Mountains in New York State, though sometimes mistakenly included with the Appalachian Mountains, are an extension of the Laurentians.
Although Laurentides is one of Québec's official regions, the mountain range of the same name runs through six other regions: Capitale-Nationale, Outaouais, Lanaudière, Mauricie, Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean and Côte-Nord. Extending into central Ontario, the foothills of the Laurentian range are known as the Opeongo Hills, or the Madawaska Highlands.
The Laurentian Mountain range is one of the oldest mountain ranges in the world. It contains rocks deposited before the Cambrian Period 540 million years ago. The Laurentians are the central part of the Grenville orogeny dating back to around a billion years.
Laurentian Mountains
Find us on :
FavRiver is a place to share and discover essential expert lists on just about any topic. The selection is made using the FavRiver scoring system which takes into account the most relevant metrics and expert reviews. FavRiver is an independent website and we do not receive any commission to be featured or when you click on links.